A-List for a Trip to the Outdoors
A trip to the outdoors requires the right preparation. That means not only physical preparation but also the right gear and equipment to carry with your trip. If you book a trip through a travel company it provides you the most of the equipment for a camping or rafting trip like tents, mattresses, life-jackets, etc. You just have to carry a few essential items when you go for trekking. A way to pack for an adventure trip is to categorize the list of essentials into a few main heads. Here, we’ve made a pretty comprehensive list of things that you may need on an adventure trip.
Do your homework
A rule of a camping trip is to read up on the place you’re about to visit. Which will help you to get an idea about its weather, topography, altitude, and accessibility. Knowing in advance what kind of weather you are going to face helps you pack accordingly. For example, a trip to the mountains in summer might not require a lot of rain-proof clothing. A trip around the monsoon season or winter which receives occasional showers can require a lot of wind and rain-proof gear. Knowing the altitudes that you will be trekking up to. Will determine that you need to pack for special high-altitude accessories or not. Here are Important Things To Carry While Trekking.
The List of Things to Carry for Camping and Trekking
The first thing under your checklist for camping essentials is Clothes and Footwear. It is important to have proper clothing for multi-day adventure trips. This is for high-altitude treks to the mountains. As they have widely fluctuating morning and nighttime temperatures. Which are varying between 25 degrees to -10 degrees Celsius. Important Things To Carry While Trekking. The must-haves on your list of clothes and footwear are:
- Woolen/ thermal undergarments
- Long trousers
- Long shirts
- Windproof/ rainproof jacket
- Woolen socks
- Woolen caps
- Hiking gloves
- Hiking caps
- All-weather trekking shoes
In addition to these, you should pack for some weather-specific gear. This includes feather-down jackets for extremely cold weather conditions. Snow gloves and special waterproof snow-trekking boots.
It’s important to invest in good quality sportswear. Which will help you to ensure durability under challenging weather conditions. Quechua and Decathlon are among the trusted brands. Both are available online and will last you a long time.
- Backpacks: One of the important things that you need on a trip is a weatherproof backpack. Trekking backpacks should ideally be lightweight and also water-resistant. If you’re carrying a camera, it is important to carry a backpack that has a special compartment for storing cameras to avoid any damage. If you’re expecting rain on your trip, then you should also carry a rain cover for your backpack. Rain covers offer additional protection to your bag and are usually suited for bags between 20 and 30 liters.
- Water bottles: Water bottles are essential items in every trekker’s backpack. The plastic or steel containers usually fit 0.5 to 0.6 liters of liquid. Trekkers often carry their water bottles in specially designed isothermal covers. That preserves the temperature of the liquid. These lightweight covers are reasonably priced and are readily available online.
- Flashlight with spare batteries: Flashlights are a must-have accessory for any trip. It’s important to keep your torch handy, especially after sundown along with spare batteries in case the ones in use get drained.
- Sunglasses: Hiking sunglasses with UV filter lenses are essential to protect your eyes. Regular sunglasses don’t provide as much coverage as these specially designed shades. They are useful in low-pressure areas that receive unfiltered UV rays which can cause skin burns and retinal damage.
- Portable charger: For those who need to be connected to their devices. A portable charger is necessary. Having a charged phone doesn’t guarantee connectivity, especially in higher altitudes where there are fewer mobile towers.
- Sleeping bags: Adventure companies, provide sleeping bags on request at an additional cost. You can also carry your own. Just make sure that it is made for temperatures between 0 and 5 degrees Celsius.
- Multi-utility tool kit: You can take with you everywhere you go. A pocket-sized Swiss tool comes in quite handy. These tools enable you to perform many tasks. With a small package, that is accessible from the outside. And every tool locks into place with its own spring and lock for precision.
Personal Medicines and Toiletries
- Sunscreen: We advise trekkers to wear body-covering clothes on a trekking tour in the mountains. This helps in protection from the harsh mountain sunrays. sunscreen is also equally important to protect your skin from UV rays and sunburns.
- Mosquito repellents: Protection from mosquitoes and any other bugs and insects is a must for all multi-day adventure trips.
- Medicine: Some medicines have to be packed with extra care. While you are planning a trip. The inaccessibility of many of the places when you’re trekking means you need to be prepared for all emergencies and carry an extra set of supplies of any prescribed medicine. Also, do carry a small supply of paracetamol, anti-diarrheal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and first aid medicines.
- Toiletries: While it may not be possible to keep the level of hygiene as you do at home. Hand sanitizer, dental kit, shampoo sachet, wet tissue, dry tissue along with nail filer are just a few that you shouldn’t miss.
There were some Important Things To Carry While Trekking.
The List of Things to Carry for River Rafting
A rafting trip requires a list of things to pack. Your requirements on the river will be different from that for a camping or trekking trip. The best adventure tour companies provide all rafting gear like paddles, helmets, and life jackets. When you pack your bags for rafting, it is important to pack clothes that are according to the temperature of the water. In warmer months, when the water is lukewarm, it is advisable to pack:
- T-shirts it’s best to avoid cotton as it sticks to you after getting wet)
- Converse or any other running shoes. It is advisable to avoid sandals as they may slip off in the water.
- Sun hats preferably with a cord
In cooler temperature or on rivers which present a quick succession of rapids, it is advisable to pack:
- Synthetic fleece or woollen clothing
- Long shirts
- Woollen socks
In addition, it’s important to carry sunscreen on a rafting trip. Because sunburn is said to be the most common injury on a rafting trip. Carrying an expensive camera is not recommended to carry on rafting trips. Most rafting companies prohibit bringing cameras on the rafts. Waterproof cameras are best for adventure sports. Like rafting as they take good pictures and can also be disposed at the end of the trip. Waterproof cases are available for these cameras for added protection.
Being equipped with the right clothing and accessories lets you enjoy your time outdoors in a safe and secure way. Follow our checklist of things to carry on a multi-day adventure trip. So, pack your bags and get ready for your adventure.
Here’s the long list of things to carry so you can check them one final time when you pack your bags for your ultimate adventure trip.
- Warm sleeping bag (till 0 degree C or below)
- Woolens/ thermal underwear
- Wind/ rain proof jacket
- Feather down jacket – optional
- Hiking/trekking shoes – important
- Spare sandals – optional
- Camera – optional
- Woolen socks
- Water bottle
- Flash light and spare batteries – important
- Sun shade/ hat with brim/ woolen hat/ gloves
- Sun lotion
- Sunscreen/ sun block
- Vaseline/ lip salve
- Insect repellent
- Personal toiletries – towels/ soap etc.
- Personal medication if any
- Rucksack/ duffel bag to carry your baggage
- Inflatable mattress (optional), we provide foam-mattress
- Small daypack to carry camera, packed lunch, water bottle and wind/ rain jacket on a walk
- Long trousers / long shirts / t-shirts etc.
Book your tickets on
Here are some more blogs:-
- Tourists Destination In Uttrakhand
- Culture Of Himachal Pradesh
- List Of Hill Stations In Himachal Pradesh To Visit This Vacation
- Top 12 Cuisine Of Punjab Everyone Must Taste
- Top 25 Places to visit in Punjab
- 19 Things To Do In Jammu And Kashmir This Vacation
- 27 Places To Visit In JAMMU AND KASHMIR During Your Holidays
- Top 5 Things You Should Avoid In Lakshadweep Island
- Top 15 Activities To Do In Lakshadweep Islands