We are often told that money is a liquid asset. But money is liquid only until authority continues to uphold it as a promissory note and the taker agrees to accept it. Therefore, liquidity of a currency is vulnerable; it can be curbed any time. Time management is also important. It is also liquid and time has eight main characteristics.
Total summation of time available to a person is equal to the life of that person- Pawan Kumar Singh
- Time is considered liquid assets. One can use or misuse the given time, choosing from hundreds of options available.
- Time has two dimensions, horizontal and vertical. The horizontal dimension of time is quantitative in nature and vertical nature is qualitative. To measure time’s horizontal dimension, we have invented devices like watches and calculators. They measure the length of time. But we haven’t been able to invent ways to measure vertical qualitative dimension of time. One might have spent years with a neighbor, without even a single quality interaction. Whereas we may have met someone for a few minutes only. Yet those moments have become memorable forever. When we spend time with love, commitment, and awareness. The vertical dimension of time becomes functional.
- Time has three facets- past, present, and future. The present is the only reality. Because the past is ‘then’ present and the future is the deferred present. Therefore, there s nothing except the present.
- Time is ephemeral; it is always slipping out because there is no pause. Those who are at a mature age, realize that thirties slipped out faster than their twenties. And forties ran out faster than the thirties and so on.
- The nature of time keeps changing. Good times do not last, and turbulent time, too, do not continue with the same intensity. Sometimes the transition between these two types of time is sudden. And we need to address such transition with maturity.
- Though time is neither our friend nor foe, however, a particular time may be favorable ou unfavorable for us. Favorable time gives yield at an increasing rate of return. Unfavorable time gives proportionately less yields compared to efforts undertaken.
Time is priceless
- Time is priceless. It is said that proper utilization of time is profit and missing out on it is a loss. Procrastination has been equated with death. Adhyatma Upanishad declares: Pramaado mohah tato aham dheeh tato bandhan tato vyathaa. ‘Procrastination leads to infatuation, infatuation leads to misplaced ego, egoistic tendencies leads to bondage leads to pain.’ Shankara warns that a person dominated by procrastinating habits keeps falling at a faster pace. Just like a ball released on the top of stairs keeps gaining momentum in the process of failing.
- Time is representative of life because the total summation of time available to the person is equal to the life of the person. Therefore, time management at its highest order is life management. Valmiki suggests in the Ramayana that a person with the right perspective of life needs to allocate time. For different portfolios like artha, kama, and dharma. And moksha, attaining understanding of truth.
The epic Mahabharta suggests that in certain cases, procrastination is desirable. Raage darpe chamaane cha, drohe paape cha karmani, apriya chaiva kartavye chrakaari prashasyate. ‘One is praised if procrastinates in having an attachment, having an egoistic attitude. Having a desire for superiority, having hate towards someone, indulging in sinful acts, and having a tendency for distasteful actions.
We all must learn time management and do our work accordingly. Time management is important for everyone. Without time management we will be leading a hectic life in which we waste our precious time by doing nothing.
Here are some more blogs-
- How moles decide our future
- Overcome boredom with these things
- How to increase our mental game
- 10 helpful things to avoid overthinking